Tuesday, August 21, 2007

New Goal

My cooking has been a little boring and lacking lately so I've made a new goal. I want to try at least one new recipe each week. I am going to try mostly main dish recipes but am open to pretty much everything. There are a few criteria that I would like to follow for time and budgeting reasons.

1. 30 minutes or less (unless there is baking or cooking time involved)
2. All ingredients are available at the regular grocery store (Gourmet markets are a novelty in Boise)
3. Ingredients are budget friendly

If you have any recipe suggestions, I would love to see them!

To start my challenge I made Spaghetti alla Carbonara last night. It was super yummy and super easy. To stay within the rules, I used regular bacon instead of the fancy Italian kind. Here is a link to the recipe.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_23785,00.html

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a tried and true recepie. It's BBQ meatloaf...before you gag...it's so good and I HATE meatloaf!
2 lbs. ground beef (use organic, super lean, whatever...it all tastes great)
2 eggs beaten
2 cups crushed saltines (light, whatever..usually one sleeve crushed is 2 cups)
3/4 c. kraft origianl BBQ Sauce
2 T chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp salt
dash of pepper

Combine them all...make a loaf...line a dish with tinfoil first then put in.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour
Spread top with BBQ sauce and bake additional 15 min.

The pickeeest eaters love this. Promise.

Alison said...

This is my new favorite. I have made it twice this month already.

Penne with Havarti
6 T. Olive Oil, Divided (4T for the sauce and 2 T to toss pasta with)
1 Clove Garlic Minced
4 T. Basil Minced
2 Cups Chicken Broth
1 C. Onion Finely Chopped
1 Can Italian Stewed Tomatoes (28 oz.)
1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
2 1/2 Cups Grated Havarti Cheese
1/2 Cup olive tampenade from costco (it is by the dips in the fridge section)
1/4 Cup Fresh Basil Leaves
1/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese

Combine the first seven ingredients in stockpot; simmer sauce until reduced by half. Cook 16 oz. of penne pasta. Drain and toss with 2 T. olive oil. Add sauce and 2-½ c. havarti cheese grated. Mix together and put in a 9x13 pan (sprayed with Pam). Cover with basil, 1/2 cup olive tanpanade and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes

This sauce freezes well and is good over any kind of pasta.


Also what is faster than fondue- This is my new favorite. Try it with grilled chicken, oh it is sooo good.

Pesto Cheese Fondue
For the Pesto:
1 Cup Firmly Packed Basil Leaves
1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts
1/2 Cup Finely Shredded Parmesan Cheese
2 Tbs. Finely Shredded Romano Cheese
2 Tbs. Garlic
1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
For the Fondue:
1 1/2 Cups Shredded Fontina Cheese
1 1/2 Cups Shredded Swiss Cheese
1/2 Cup Romano Cheese
3 Tbs. Flour
1 Cup Vegetable Broth

Place the first five ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until paste begins to form; scrape the sides as needed. Add olive oil slowly to blender and blend until consistency of soft butter. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill, 1 to 2 hours.

Bring the rest of the cheese to room temperature and toss with 3 Tbs. flour; set aside. Heat vegetable broth in a large saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles rise to the surface. Just before it begins to boil, reduce heat to low and stir in cheese mixture a little at a time.

Stirring constantly and making sure the cheese melts before adding more. Cook and stir until mixture bubbles gently. Transfer to fondue pot. Spoon ½ cup to 3/ 4 cup pesto into spiral pattern on top of cheese mixture.
Serve with bread, vegetables, apples and very good with grilled chicken breast, cut into small pieces.

The Carlii said...

Hey Lori,
It's Melissa Carlos. I want to add you to my recipe blog. Send me an email so I have you address and can add you. I'm melissa.carlos@gmail. And post some more pictures of your little guy--he's so cute!

Krystal Trapnell said...

Wow Lori. It's been forever. Congrats on the baby, that is awesome! If you're interested, send me an email and I'll send you an invite to my blog. We have a baby girl, Kyla, a couple weeks older than Corey (born May 24). I love having a baby! espyk@yahoo.com

Krystal (Esplin)

Emily said...

Hey Lori,

Here is my go to recipe for any dinner I have to bring to someone and I make it for us pretty often. Everyone likes it, it's easy, fairly healthy, all my kids eat it, it freezes well, and you don't have to be exact. The amounts can vary as much as you want--perfect for me who is not very perfect.

Taco Soup
1 package taco seasoning
1/2-1 onion chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
4 chicken breasts boiled/chopped
1 can chopped tomatoes (about 14oz)
1 can black beans (about 14oz)
1 can pinto beans (about 14oz)
1 (4oz)can chopped green chilis
8oz green salsa
1 cup water or chicken stock

Saute onion and garic in a bit of olive oil in a large pot for a few minutes. Add chicken and taco seasoning and saute about 5 minutes more. Dump everything else in and heat through. Easy as pie! Topp with cheese, Fritos, sour cream and anything else you like! I usually let the chicken boil for quite a while because I like it kind of shredded rather than cut up but if you like it firmer and cut up I bet you can get all the cooking done (including the boiling) in under 30 minutes! Also, I was just looking at this site that I bet you would appreciate since you are a sewer (I think I just wrote sewer as in plumbing but don't know how to spell sewer as in, you sew, so, you catch my drift): http://amybutlerdesign.com/main.php?fl=1
See-ya