Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A bad day with a happy ending

Have you ever had a day when you felt like a big Jerk? Today was so that day for me. It seemed like nothing could go right and I had to make an "executive decision" which is not one of my strengths. I hate to step on toes and I try really hard not to offend people but there are times when it's unavoidable. Sometimes I long for the fun and fancy free days of being a child. I could play with my friends, color and run around and the most I had to worry about was getting my room clean (which didn't happen often- sorry Mom!). Being a responsible adult is so over rated, although I'm loving the whole husband and baby thing.

I recently re-organized my YW presidency so tonight, as a get to know you, we had everyone take off their shoes and put them in a big pile. Then the girls and leaders stood up one at a time and told two things about themselves as the girls tried to figure out which shoes belonged to that person. Anyway, I was last and just to be silly I decided to tell the girls about how great my husband is. I think I take him for granted a lot of the time so it was really fun to think about some of the reasons that I fell in love with him.

(Emily- DO NOT TELL CHRIS THIS!) The first story I told them was about a time when my family went to Lake Powell and my brother brought along one of his friends,Jonathan, who I had a major crush on. I fell asleep one night thinking about him and instead of dreaming about Jonathan I dreamed that I married Jim, who I barely knew(as in, I knew who he was). It was a very weird dream but I thought much more about Jim after that. Later that summer, way before we started, Jim's friend took my college ward "rap sheet" into Ward Counsel and told Jim that he found Jim's future wife.

The second story that I told them was about mine and Jim's first date. He came and picked me up to get ice cream and then go bowling. I'm pretty sure that I talked non-stop the entire drive to Dairy Queen. When we got there I kept on talking as he parked the car, undid his seat belt and finally got out of the car. When I didn't get out with him he leaned back in and asked if I was coming in. I had to inform him that I was waiting for him to get my door. He hurried around the car, opened my door and to this day just as long as I remember not to be an "independent woman" he always gets my door. What a sweetie!

I just realized that I told the first date story when we gave our first sacrament meeting talk in this ward. I only told it because Jim made me go first and introduce our family. Anyway, I told him that if I had to do the family introduction then I was going to embarrass him. He said "go right ahead." Well, to get him I did it and got a good chuckle from the congregation. When Jim got up he told them "Lori didn't tell you the whole story because when she made me get her door, I only had one thought- High Maintenance." He got way more of a laugh then I did and I was ticked. Not only did he get me back but, to this day, there is a man in the ward who calls me Sister High Maintenance. I guess I won't try and embarrass him anymore.

I'm sorry to go on and on, but thanks, this has been a great way to end my day. It just reminds me that no matter how bad or upsetting my day is, I can always find happiness and love at home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a fun story, that I never knew. It is really good to go back and think about all the good things that our husbands do.

Kathy L. said...

I loved reading your post, what cute stories, I had to laugh!!

Take care!!

Emily said...

Hey Lori,
always love to hear about other peoples young women stuff and don't worry, your secret's safe with me!